I am honored and humbled to be elected for a third term as the Polemarch of our award-winning Phoenix (AZ) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. My first term was a year of transition. The second term was a year of solidification. The third term will be a year of expansion. We will continue to focus on the 33rd Grand Polemarch’s 6-Point Plan; however, we will put a particular emphasis on points 4 and 5 of the plan as highlighted below:
- COMMUNITY SERVICE – Continue to support and mentor young men through our award-winning Guide Right Kappa League program and support the community through our Senior Kappa and chapter community-based initiatives.
- INFRASTRUCTURE – Continue to improve our local chapter’s infrastructure through enhanced technology implementations and the search for a location to eventually call home.
- UNDERGRADUATE DEVELOPMENT – Build a strong and lasting bond with the undergraduate Kappa members of universities in Arizona.
- RECLAMATION – Grow the Fraternity’s financial roster by identifying and implementing effective strategic initiatives aimed at re-energizing inactive membership.
- NEW MEMBER RECRUITMENT & TRAINING – Recruit mature, responsible and like-minded members with a track record of success, with the intent of organization-wide sustainability.
- EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP TRAINING & SUCCESSION PLANNING – Identify and develop exceptional talent for leadership development and succession planning.
A year of expansion means that we will focus on growing our membership numbers through Reclamation and New Member Recruitment & Training. As you know, in 2017 we celebrated 70 years as a chapter. Focusing on expansion will set up our chapter for another 70 years of award-winning service to the community.
Documenting Leadership Continuity
Last year we determined that I am the 34th Polemarch since our chapter chartering on June 18, 1947. This legacy of achievement is a tribute to the success and stability of our great chapter, our extremely talented and dedicated membership base, and the outstanding polemarchs who came before me. As you know, we believe so strongly in finding better and better ways to serve the community at large, that our local chapter’s credo is αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν – “Ever to Excel,” which sums up the very essence of the Phoenix (AZ) Alumni Chapter, the Great Western Province, and our noble Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
A Brief Review of Our Accomplishments Over the Past Two Years
The following is a sample of the things we have achieved together over the past two years (2015-2017):
- Continued our award-winning ways and shown on our Awards page
- Successfully hosted the 70th Western Province Council in Phoenix, Arizona
- Implemented advanced technologies (e.g., websites, video marketing, email distribution, mobile app, team collaboration tools, social media, etc.) that increased the overall efficiency of the organization
- Linked our annual goals directly to the 33rd Grand Polemarch’s 6-Point Plan
- Implemented Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to quantify annual organizational accomplishments based on the 6-Point Plan of the 33rd Grand Polemarch
- Initiated a full re-engineering of the chapter’s operations and marketing strategy by leveraging open-source technologies, social media, and good old-fashioned networking
- Developed a repeatable procedure for conducting budgetary audits in alignment with our bylaws
- Reconstructed the list of leaders since the chartering of our chapter 70 years ago
- Reduced our monthly general body meeting times
These are just a few of our many accomplishments over the past two years. All the credit goes to you, the dedicated members of the Phoenix (AZ) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity, Inc.
As has been the case for the past 70 years, the Phoenix (AZ) Alumni Chapter will continue our award-winning ways with each member doing his part in support of the leadership of our 33rd Grand Polemarch, the leadership of the Western Province Polemarch, and the core values of our chapter. I welcome all members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (i.e., active or inactive, financial or non-financial) within the Valley of the Sun to join us in support of our cause. It is especially important for men of achievement (no matter our color, nationality or ethnicity) to be role models in our communities and to recognize the importance of giving back.
Our legacy of αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν – “Ever to Excel” – is as strong as ever. Like Him who was, is, and is yet to come, we live to serve and not be served. By doing so, when we are all someday called “home” and we as Kappa men join the eternal Chapter Invisible, we will rest assured that by His grace our debt to society has been paid in full.
Dr. Milton Mattox, Ed.D, MBA, BSEET
Phoenix (AZ) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.