Guide Right Director
Phoenix (AZ) Alumni Chapter
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa League History
Under the chairmanship of Mel Davis, the Los Angeles Alumni Chapter’s Social Action Program took the form of training activity for young men of the Alain Leroy Locke High School. Called the Kappa Instructional Leadership League, it was designed to help young men grow, receive, and develop their leadership talents in every phase of human endeavor. It provided both challenging and rewarding experiences, which richly enhanced their lives. Membership was open to male students from the tenth through the twelfth grades. The fraternity sought to help these young men to achieve worthy goals for themselves and make constructive contributions to their community when leadership roles become the responsibility.
The Guide Right Program, conceived in 1922, is the most important national service program of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. The purposes of the Guide Right Service Program are to place the training, experience and friendly interest of successful men at the disposal of youth needing inspiration and counsel regarding their choice of a life’s career, and to arouse the interest of the entire community in the problems of youth as they seek to realize lives of usefulness.
The basic objectives of Guide Right may be summarized as follows:
- To inspires service in the public interest through the cultural enrichment and character development of African-American males between the ages of 5 and 25.
- To develop leadership skills while monitoring, encouraging, and rewarding outstanding academic performance.
- To refine self-image, self-esteem, social skills, and environmental awareness.
- To assist parents in the handling of their children by giving them opportunities to talk over problems with those who know and are successful in their chosen vocations.
- To afford the less fortunate youths a respite from the drudgery of the streets, through sponsored entertainment and cultural enrichment.
- To inform youth of the value of higher education, assistance available for continued educational pursuits, scholarships, loans, professional counseling, and fellowships.
Kappa Alpha Psi’s commitment to young people is well established and our Guide Right efforts, both individual and collective, can continue to serve as a mechanism to “inspire service in the public interest.”
Phoenix Alumni Chapter Kappa League
The Phoenix Alumni Chapter Kappa League program is led by Otis Perkins. The overarching goal of the Phoenix Kappa League program is to assist young leaders in reaching their potential.
In addition, the Phoenix Kappa League is an organization oriented towards helping students in grades 7th-12th develop their talents and potential in every field of human endeavor. It provides both challenging and rewarding experiences via mentor-led, oriented activities. The Kappa League members are introduced to strategizing, planning, and executing ideas that are the foundation of good leadership characteristics designed to raise awareness.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.